Pages

Friday 2 November 2012

Shameful, or Shameless: Just a Kid at Heart

Good day, readers.

So, on October 30th, I turned 18 years old at last. And on October 31st, I went trick-or-treating.

I didn't go alone, mind you. I went with my friend who will be turning 18 in December, and my boyfriend who will be 19 in December (they have the same birthday, actually!).

I have never missed a Halloween. It is my absolute favourite holiday. I mean, why wouldn't it be - I get gifts one day and candy the next.

Now, ever since I was about 15, people have started saying to me "Aren't you kinda old for that?" To which I respond, "Nah, it's just fun!"

And it really is! And you know what? The only people that seem to accuse me of being too old are the people I talk to about it. When I actually go out for Halloween, honestly - no one cares. As long as you put effort into it and its obvious you're just out to have a good time, people will still give you candy.

The only thing I've had change is that people will stop me to talk to me about my awesome costume, and there might be one or two people that say that for the older ones they ask for a trick before they give out treats. So I tell them a nerdy joke, and all is well!

This Halloween though, I received a slightly hurtful comment from my aunt, who has always been very supportive of me otherwise. She posted on my Facebook, "Tricks are for kids. You're an adult now."

But you know what? Just because I'm 18, doesn't mean I can't still be a kid at heart. I like to dress up. I like to have fun, and I like to get free candy.

I will stop trick-or-treating only when I have no one to go with, people start getting crabby at me at the door, or I get bored of it.

Simple as that.

1 comment: