Pages

Monday 1 October 2012

An Accident Waiting to Happen in Winnipeg

As a man tries to cross the street at William and King, cars turn towards him with hardly a care.
As a student that buses most of the way to school each day, I'd rather not be one of many who has to fear for their life every time I cross the intersection at William and King. 
 
Some consider it jay-walking, I consider it safety precautions. When crossing the north side of the intersection, the only truly safe time to walk is when the hand is telling you to stop. But once the light changes to tell pedestrians to walk, the light changes for the east-bound cars as well. And where do these cars go? Well, they drive towards the pedestrians, of course.
 
So, if you happen to miss those few seconds of safe-walking, you must simply have faith that today won't be the day that one silly car doesn't notice you standing there and makes a swift turn right towards you.
 
This intersection has been a danger to pedestrians for years now, and how it hasn't been fixed yet is a wonder. I personally believe that if that little person on the lights is telling me to walk, I should feel safe doing so. After all, an intersection's lights are there to keep both cars and pedestrians safe, right? I would like to think so.
 
Pedestrians should not be concerned or even afraid to cross the street, unless they're doing so against the light or something of the like. This intersection should not have been allowed to get by like this for so long and needs to be fixed so that drivers, students, workers, and any other pedestrians can feel at ease again.
 
 
 
Bye for now, readers!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen many close calls at that intersection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I've been complaining about this intersection for years.

    Yesterday, I actually saw the cars stop and wait even to enter the intersection while pedestrians were crossing. The pedestrians were police officers.

    ReplyDelete