Pages

Thursday 18 October 2012

A Beginner's Attempt at Sewing

So, over the summer, I made a decision that with my money from Ai-Kon sales I would buy a sewing machine and learn to sew!

My decision to do this was inspired by the fact that I love to cosplay, but the cost to buy cosplays is rediculous. (For more information on cosplay, go here and here)
My little sewing corner! I moved the mirror, though.
Ignore the nerdy pillow my grandma got me.
I've had the sewing machine since August, but it's taken me a while to actually put it to use. I also spent some time trying to figure out what I should have as my first projects.

First up, I have Batwoman, for Halloween and hopefully Comic-con. I bought the cat suit - as there was no way I was making one of those on my first try - and planned to make all the accessories (gloves, belt, batsymbol, boot covers) using red vinyl.




Last night, I actually started! But, alas, it did not go so well. Although I have sewn a small amount in the past, I have never done it without someone with me.

So, I decided to start with the belt, because I figured it would be the easiest. So I cut out my first piece, measuring myself for the length and making it five inches wide (for seam allowance!). But, some how, I got my measurement wrong and made it waaaay too short. I didn't want to waste my vinyl, so I decided to just cut out what I would need to make it the right length and sew it together.

This part worked out fine!


As you can see the thread is not the right colour.. I forgot to change it from my test thread before hand, but it didn't matter anyway because it won't be seen! I did change the thread and the bobbin to red after, though.

From there, everything went down hill.

I pinned everything, and that went fine, although it was a little awkward over the seam I made. It was went I tried to start sewing that where the problems happened.

It wouldn't go. It kept kind of getting stuck in the vinyl.


I kept trying and trying, but the basic needle that was in the machine just couldn't handle the vinyl. It broke. D:

 
 
So, I decided that I would have to wait a little longer to finish my Batwoman costume, as I would need to get a thicker needle first.
 
 
A tip for those learning to sew as well: If you're sewing a thick fabric, look into it - you'll probably need to do something different.
 
 
 
Bye for now, readers!

2 comments:

  1. For sewing tacky fabrics like vinyl sandwiching the seam with parchment paper helps it move more smoothly through the machine. Also it's better to hold the seam in place before sewing with something like Bobby pins put binder clips as regular sewing pins can leave little holes in the fabric which are prone to possible ripping later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for the advice!

    ReplyDelete