Pages

Wednesday 12 September 2012

The New Doctor Who

Hello, dear readers.

In case you don't know, I am a big fan of Doctor Who. And you know what started a week and a bit ago? The seventh series!

I was so excited for the new series to start, and I have to say, the first episode was rather... disappointing, in a way. Not that it was a bad episode. It was just... Very confusing. Characters were semi-introduced that weren't supposed to be introduced yet, and huge things happened that weren't made to be as huge as they really were. And yeah, I was left feeling extremely confused. I mean, overall, it was a good episode.. just confusing.

Last night, I watched the second episode (which aired last Saturday). It was much better than the first. Dinosaurs on a spaceship! It's hard to get that wrong. And - correct me if I'm wrong - I do believe they had CG MONSTERS? I don't think that has ever happened in Doctor Who - they're usually mechanical/people in suits/etc. But, in some scenes, the dinosaurs looked like they were CG. Up close, they obviously were not though. I was still very shocked by this.

The episode also had some little things that showed the Doctor's great love for Amy and Rory - at this point he still is really attatched to them, and it's easy to tell. For example, in the episode he gathers a couple others with him, and Amy asks if "they're the new us", referring to them being the new companions or something. The Doctor responds by saying, "They're just people, they're not Ponds." This to me is the writer trying to build up an even stronger connection to the Ponds by showing the Doctor's care for them, so that it'll be even more sad when they're gone. I'm rather unnexcited for this... Amy is my second favourite companion, next to Rose. She's so clever, I just love it. Which leads me to note my less than excited feelings towards the new companion, Clara. Even her name is rather bland. But, we'll see, I guess. I try not to form complete opinions until I see things. So you never know, I may end up loving her.

I also enjoyed seeing the Doctor act as a real doctor in this episode. I've heard that he is a certified doctor (who would have guessed! : P ), but viewers rarely get to see this in action.


That's about all for now - I may draw something for you guys tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. I remember watching Doctor Who in the 70s; I think I was too young to actually "get it," but it made an impression. I'll have to check out the new series to see how it compares!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! The Doctor's transition during the first series (the first season of the newer Doctor Who) is quite interesting.

      Delete
  2. Love Doctor Who! Only saw the first episode though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second one is really worth the watch! The first left me with a "... What just happened..." feeling...

      Delete