Pages

Friday 14 September 2012

Artists' Tip #1

Good day, readers!

So, I haven't had much of a chance to draw lately, plus when I do the lighting is terrible for photos. That, and I'm waiting for some feedback of what you want to see, readers!


So, today, I've decided to make a first post of what will likely be many that includes tips on drawing. Here we go!

#1: Don't get a tablet yet

For those whose idea of "tablet" is fancy handheld computer-like devices, get that out of your head if you're an artist. In the art world, a tablet is a device that you plug into your computer, and when you draw on it with the provided pens, the action transmits onto your computer screen. When you see awesome digital art, this is what those artists are using.

Now, you may think, "Well, I want to be awesome at drawing, so I'll just get a drawing tablet like the pros!" This is not the best option. I mean, if you really want to, go right ahead - but it won't help you. The best way to learn how to draw is by doing all of your learning with a basic pencil and paper.

Why do I say this? Because, inevitably, drawing with a tablet feels unnatural, especially for beginners. This makes it really difficult to learn. Using non-digital formats is much more natural, and it's easier to just go with the flow. There are even many, many good artists out there who do all their sketches in pencil, then scan it and do the rest on the computer.

Now, don't get me wrong, I myself use a tablet. But only when I have specific digital ideas in mind - I never try to do new things on a tablet. You basically need to have your skills burned into your mind for it to transmit the same onto the computer - it needs to become a habit. If you're still in the figuring-out-your-style phase (I will explain this another time), then a tablet is not for you.

I personally find with most of my amateur artist friends that their traditional work is much better than their digital work. If you wander around any artists faires and look closely between the works, you will notice this as well. Sure, the digital pieces will stand out more, but if you look at the technique itself you will notice the differences.

If, after reading this, you still really want to get a tablet, go right ahead! Just keep in mind that a tablet will not suddenly make your art way better, it's just a good way to emphasize your art.



That's all for today! Stay tuned for more tips!

Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment